DJ Tavis Show full post »
Glen Allan
That was supposed to be a playlist, but you can link back to thee main page.
Quote 0 0
DJ Tavis
Oh that's actually not what I expected, I like it though! I was expecting more like dark industrial sounds but this first guy sounds more like syncopated trip hop or something. I'm at work so can't listen on nice headphones but I'll have another listen later. Dig the visual effects too
Quote 0 0
DJ Tavis
Yeah you should look up 'author and Punisher live' if you're feeling curious, super dark but kind of fascinating - I guess it's more industrial than experimental but freakin cool the guys a mechanical engineer and sculptor and designs and build all his own analog gear which looks and sounds like nightmares
Quote 1 0
Glen Allan
That is rad! I'd totally have him as part of our show! Brutal industrial with made instruments, totally up our alley, and on The Chaos System would be amazing!
Quote 0 0
DJ Tavis
Hope you guys are well! I visited David and crew yesterday in LA and they graciously let me test different tracks on the dv12s for about 90 minutes with several different subs. The ZV28 was my favorite followed by vs21 though I didn't get to test the ssp+218. David seemed to indicate that the ZV28 really came into it's own with bass music but I thought it sounded amazing with deep house and tech house as well. But more than anything I was impressed with the DV12, what an amazing box that is. Even with the ZV28 I kept wanting to turn the dv12s down actually as they seemed too loud if anything. And in full range they sound fantastic, like literally they could easily power a moderate sized dance party with no sub at all. Unbelievable. But... I got to save up as my wife is not down for me getting them on credit. Some day soon

As for my dj18s they now have the new DSP and, after a side by side comparison, zv drivers. So I'm super looking forward to the next time that I get to play them loud, whenever that might be 🙂

In all it was well worth the drive to get to hang out at the speaker factory for an afternoon and geek out with the crew. Learned a lot from David and he seems like an awesome guy who has found his calling and is now living the dream with style. Can't say enough good things
Quote 1 0
Glen Allan

Yay! That's awesome 😄 ! Yeah i found the customer service and time they spent with me really nailed the final nail in getting me to pull the trigger on getting my ZV18s. David has a way with explaining things that is quite accessible even if you aren't totally up on the industry vernacular. And his very deep commitment to actually low frequency bass output i just couldn't find in the pro audio world.

I do also want to get those VS21s to compliment my ZV18s, but i doubt i'd want to replace them with them. The ZV18s were designed as single driver versions of the ZV28s and what David said to you i think severely short sells what they bring to the table. Being able to reach as low as they do so effortlessly has made all kinds of music sound far better than it has with any other system i've used, and while i do understand the VS21 has the punch the ZV line doesn't, they still kick really damn hard. I find the ZVs extremely musical and subtle when they need to be and brutal when it's cranked. One of the biggest plusses about BB subs anyway is that they don't sound different when running quietly either. Often subs sound weak until you push them hard... Not at all the case with my ZV18s!

One day i'll get a pair of DV12s!!! I mean my dream system would be to add 2 VS21's and 4 DV12's, but because i would literally have the capacity to run 1 really big stage, or plot it up to up to 3 very decent smaller stages. But 2 of the DV12's would add so much even with the rest. I'd love to run my ZV18s, 2 DiaMons (which are amazing), and 2 DV12's with the DiaMons as back of audience surround or be able to do real quadraphonic live performance as part of the experimental/noise shows i put on. 

Anyway, thanks for the update! It's good to hear they treated you well!

Glen

Quote 0 0
BassBoss Expert

DV12s are absolutely incredible but you definitely have to experience them for yourself to ever come close to understanding. same with the subs. They're all out of this world! 

how many DJ18s do you have? I’m waiting for fedex to deliver a 4th DJ sub for me. So it’ll be 4 DJ21S subwoofers with 2 DV12.

its very wowing adding a 2nd sub to the first, and again adding 2 more subs to a pair will take it to the next level. Plus... DV12 have never struggled to outshine the trio of subs

did you get to experience the Kraken????

whats interesting to me is that the MFLA is literally 2 DV12s, but the power blows away what I would expect from coupling 2 DV12s in an array. David is pure genius and the new products really show it off. 

Quote 0 0
DJ Tavis
Yo Kevin! Hope you're well

You bought another dj21? I thought they weren't making more of those! I've never even heard one play.

I have two dj18s though they absolutely can handle more volume now with the ZV drivers, I doubt I could make them distort though the original driver definitely distorted at high volume with the new DSP, or so I noticed when comparing side by side with the upgraded driver.

I can't wait to test the upgraded boxes out in a live situation, IE one without neighbors 🙂

I didn't test the kraken, just the dvs by themselves, with ssp118, vs21, and ZV28. The ZV28 was definitely my favorite though the vs21 was sick as well. I think I lean towards the ZV though as I can fit four max of either box in my truck and I think in a 1:1 comparison the ZV is preferable to the VS.

I think in terms of further upgrades my original plan is best- upgrade mains to dv12s first, then add zv28s one at a time until some day I have four of them 🙂
Quote 0 0
DJ Tavis
Yo Glen! Yeah I hear you on wanting the VS to go with your ZVs - they do seem to each provide something unique. How would you configure with 2xvs21 and 4xzv18? I would think maybe the ZVs across the center with a vs on either side might be ideal. 

I'm pretty sure you will love the DVs, in terms of volume they might not add a whole lot but the horizontal coverage is amazing. In person they sound like they have close to 180 degrees though I know they don't, quite. Also the ability to forego the subs for a smaller show would be awesome. Also just going by what David said you shouldn't need four of them even after your sub upgrade, two should still do the trick
Quote 0 0
Glen Allan

Hey Tavis,

The thing is i was trying to get across is that there are a bunch of configurations. 

Config A. VS21s on the sides with DV12s pole mounted on them and the ZV18s four across stage front. DiaMons as back fill or surround. This looks like what you describe. Alternate setup for the DiaMons would be to short pole mount them to two of the ZV18s facing backward as stage monitors.

Config B. ZV18s stacked on either side with the VS21s on their sides (ports together for low frequency coupling), DV12s short pole mounted above ZV18 stacks. DiaMons doing back fill/surround. Would like them to be able to mount in the VS21s sideways, but would need to be sure they were made with pole mounts on the sides as well as top.

Then there would be multiple ways to break the system up for multiple smaller stages.
3 Stage setup;
1.  2 VS21 w' 2 DV12
2.  2 ZV18 w' 2 DV12
3.  2 ZV18 w' 2 DiaMon

or

1.  2 VS21 w' 2 DV12
2.  4 ZV18 w' 2 DiaMon (What i run now)
3.  2 DV12 no subs

I can think of a few more ways to do it. I work with people who do a festival once a year with multiple stages across a town and this would be great if i had all of them to work with. Otherwise doing some dueling/battling concept shows. Or a crazy 6 way setup for surround live experimental performance in a round. No end to how many ways to do it.

As for thinking i'd only need 2 of the DV12s if the whole system were being used at once. I mean sure, but i'd appreciate the greater vertical coverage with the inverted array. I wouldn't necessarily array them anyway. I'm quite the fan of a different kind of show where it isn't just front facing music blasted at you.

With our Operation Noise Toaster event the setup i always go for if the space we are in permits is to have the system spread out and facing to ward itself with the performers in the center. The audience then sits within that boundary in a circle around where the performers are doing their thing. This arrangement brought something very interesting and "special" to the show. Ideally then instead of it just being a cross firing stereo split it would have either 4 or 6 tops equally spread around the circle. Total emergence. Could be wired up for real 4 or 6 way sound as well.

Anyway, you can see i don't like to be limited to any standard format for the shows i do, and i can fully utilize everything in that setup in many ways!

😁😎😜

Glen

Quote 0 0
BassBoss Expert
4x ZV28s is vision blurring and very addicting! But it’s nice to have your DJ18s for smaller events and yeah that’s the most impressive thing about BassBoss subs is that they don’t smell, they don’t over heat even as I pound on them endlessly for hours and hours. So yeah, you’re not going to smoke your 18s by pounding. I don’t even think you’d hear any distortion of the voltage drops down, the amps BassBoss uses are the best of the best just like the drivers and of course the heavy duty cabinets.

i was very lucky to order their last DJ21S to compliment my setup. The new laser cut grills are thicker and show off the driver nicer than the original so if you’ve got the original grills, you should reach out abt upgrading to the thicker grills with larger perforations (if you’re into that)

can you use an 18 in ur house or is that a no go 😹😹😹 I did have an issue with my 21s separating the Sheetrock off of the studs in my basement and now im not allowed to fire them up inside 

im sad DJ Travis didn’t try out the kraken. If the ZV28 is legendary idk what that means for the Kraken. I’m trying to figure out if a DV12 would be able to keep up with a Kraken or if I’d definitely need to be upgrading to some MFLA cabinets 
Quote 1 0