Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BASSBOSS Questions

Reply with quote  #1 
I am comparing your products to JBL, Yorkville and QSC. The BASSBOSS products seem to cost more in every case. Would you explain why your products are more expensive?

cheers,

Bob
BASSBOSS Team

Reply with quote  #2 
BASSBOSS designs use the best components possible, extensively sourced from the world's top audio manufacturers. Although we choose the most cost-effective options we can find, we go for performance over price. We then extensively test, tune and tweak to bring you the best possible sound quality and highest output from each BASSBOSS cabinet. 

BASSBOSS products represent an excellent value when compared on a performance basis with other products. Check out our comparison of the Yorkville and QSC subs with BASSBOSS products here and here for more info on exactly how our products measure up.

Often a BASSBOSS product will perform at a two-to-one ratio to competing cabinets. When comparing BASSBOSS to other manufacturers offerings, take into account all amplification and processing that may be needed to match the BASSBOSS product. Also, keep in mind the dirty secret of the loudspeaker industry - inflation of specifications.

BASSBOSS specs are real-world, continuous performance numbers. They are not expected to be viewed individually, but as achievable performance minimums, at the same time, unlike the vast majority of industry specs. 

We're happy to answer specific questions regarding the different products if you have them.

thanks!
BASSBOS Team
marcus

Reply with quote  #3 
Your specs look a little inflated too.  Why do you use non-standard sensitivity ratings?  Like 1 watt / 1meter in an anechoic chamber?  Looks like yours are rated on the floor, with no mention of the input level or amp power for said rating.  Please elaborate.
BASSBOSS Team

Reply with quote  #4 
Dear Marcus,

Thanks for your question. I understand and encourage your skepticism. I know that in this industry it can be difficult to know who to trust because there are a lot of inflated numbers out there. I'd be happy to clarify anything that appears to be unclear.

The practice of using 1 watt at 1 meter is a hold-over from days gone by, when 1 watt was being made by a tube amp and bigger power was difficult to generate. The information it provides is relevant to determining a loudspeaker's sensitivity for comparison to other loudspeakers when each is driven by the same amp. The primary relevance of this is related to comparing passive loudspeakers to see which one would produce more SPL output at 1 watt input. From there one could calculate the theoretical maximum output given the power limit of the amplifier. This doesn't take into account issues like thermal compression, port turbulence, excursion limits or distortion, all of which are extremely low at 1 watt power levels.

Because we sell powered loudspeakers, there is no need to reference the sensitivity of the loudspeaker independent of the amplifier, which is why the specific sensitivity at 2.83V into 8 ohms isn't part of the specifications. Our amplifiers, drivers and processing are matched for ultimate performance as a system. I've seen many specifications of sensitivity that, if you investigate them, reference output SPL at frequencies outside their intended operating band. I've often seen sensitivity and peak SPL numbers for subwoofers based on levels at 120, 160 or 200Hz, which is well outside the range I would consider using a "subwoofer".

It's difficult to have honest numbers be competitive with inflated numbers. Marketing departments and the general public all want to see the biggest numbers possible. Big number for power amps encourage the use of "peak" watts specifications. Our subwoofer amps are rated on continuous RMS power. We don't even list peak power. People who know a little more can see the difference but it's still possible for people to be misled. Part of the problem is that there are misleading standards. For instance, 1 watt / 1 meter measurements aren't always what they seem. The standard recently changed. Technically, the result of putting 2.83V through 8 ohms is 1 watt. If you want to measure an honest 1 watt into 4 ohms, you must put in only 2V to get 1 watt. The current practice of using 2.83V as the standard output voltage regardless of impedance can produce misleading numbers because 2.83V into 4 ohms is 2 watts and 2.83V into 2 ohms is 4 watts. To be strictly accurate, I use the voltage required to produce 1 watt into the loudspeaker's nominal impedance to calculate its sensitivity but it isn't published because that information isn't relevant to the customer's use of a powered speaker.  Strictly speaking, input sensitivity of a powered loudspeaker is adjustable via the input attenuator and is driven by a pre-amp output.

While it is useful to test loudspeakers in an anechoic chamber because they isolate the loudspeaker and microphone from wind, weather and reflections, the purpose of the anechoic chamber is to simulate an uninterrupted acoustical field, in other words, outside, suspended above the ground far enough to be able to measure to the lowest operational frequency of the loudspeaker without the influence of reflections on the measurement. An anechoic chamber is an idealized environment in which to measure a loudspeaker, and one that can be used year-round in controlled conditions, but it isn't a natural environment. Loudspeakers developed and tested in anechoic chambers will never be used in such an ideal environment again. In addition to that, the environment is an attempt to simulate an outdoor measurement on a clear, windless day. We are based at an airport where we have no noise restrictions and a massive cargo-jet parking lot for our testing area, so we have what is essentially an anechoic environment rather than an anechoic chamber.

For mid-high boxes, an anechoic chamber of sufficient size is possible, however an anechoic chamber will have a low-frequency limit at which the room is too small to not influence low-frequency measurements. Anechoic chamber measurements of subwoofers are very rare because to achieve anechoic conditions down to 20Hz you need to have an extremely large anechoic chamber, something the size of an aircraft hanger. That's why 1/2 space/ground plane measurements of subwoofers are very common. Full-space performance of subwoofers can be reasonably calculated by subtracting 6dB from the 1/2 space measurement.

Because we put a lot of focus on subwoofers, and we have a more appropriate environment in which to test subwoofers than an anechoic chamber, and we have plenty of clear days here in Austin, TX throughout the year on which to test, we found we had little need for an anechoic chamber. We also measure our mid-high boxes under the same conditions as our subwoofers because these conditions are more similar to how and where they will be used than an anechoic chamber.

Our output and frequency response ratings do specify distance and conditions,  such as 1 meter in half-space, aka ground plane. Since the subwoofers are most often used on the ground, the specifications tell you exactly what you will get with the subwoofer on the ground in a very large space or outdoors.

If there are any specifications about which you have questions, please feel free to point them out. I'll do my best to clarify them and it's not impossible that a data entry error could have occurred.

best
David Lee
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.