BASSBOSS Questions
Hey there. I've been following BassBoss for the last couple years. Love what I'm seeing online. Question: How would the VS21 compare to the Yorkville ES21P?
Quote 0 0
David Lee
http://yorkville.com/downloads/specsheet/ss_ls2100p.pdf

http://yorkville.com/subwoofers/elite/product/es21p/

The ES21P is the LS2100P after getting a haircut and a name change. Take the LS2100P and remove the rat fur/ozite carpet and you get the ES21P. They actually made the specs slightly more conservative in the peak SPL and more exaggerated in the continuous SPL numbers but the amplifier and driver and box are apparently the same. We tested a 2100 a while ago and it provided a measured maximum continuous SPL of 129.5 SPL at 47.5Hz with an 8dB loss by 37Hz and a 7dB loss by 60Hz, so a pretty peaky response. The measurement looked like the amplifier was limiting above 37.5. The output was 20dB below peak at the specified -3dB point of 32Hz.

The VS21 will provide more peak SPL than the ES21P and it will do so over a broader range, meaning it will be deeper and louder and will also be punchier and louder. The VS21 is made of 18mm birch instead of 15mm but it still manages to be 22 lbs lighter. The VS21’s amplifier is significantly more efficient than the ES21P’s because it is Class D, meaning it will be less likely to trip breakers.

So here are the highlights:

The VS21 is louder, lighter, lower, larger and uses less electricity.

The ES21P is less deep, both physically and in performance. But what about value? Which one is less expensive?

If all you look at is the box count, as in how many boxes can I buy with X$, the ES21P is less expensive, but, at low frequencies, the price per dB is lower with the VS21. In terms of time for setup saved by carrying half as many boxes to get the depth you want, the VS21 is less expensive.

If a box like the LS21P can give you what you want, it’s the right box for you. If you want more, and you want it from less, with less effort, you might be the kind of person who wants a VS21.
Quote 0 0
BASSBOSS Questions
Thanks for getting back to me! I think your response is spot on. Yorkville has a reliable clientele in the midwest but they aren’t breaking new ground with that 21” sub. I used to own a pair of ES18P’s and they can put out some bass but are very boomy/muddy. I can’t imagine the 21” fixes those mistakes. Thanks you David for the detailed insight. 
Quote 0 0