BASSBOSS Questions
I have been looking at your systems for a while and had a couple quotes. My ultimate system would be 8xVS21 subs and 4xDV12. The issue is i am in Australia and the exchange rate sucks at the moment. I would be paying 30% more on your price plus shipping plus 10% goods and services tax.

Now the question I was going to ask James was I came across an AD for some of your old BassMaxx subs the BassMaxx Zero (twelve). Gateway Productions own them and I believe that you have them at your warehouse? So I was thinking would they work with the 4xDV12 in the short term so I could get a BassBoss system and get it working then down the track upgrade to the VS21?

I was thinking four per side of the Zero and two DV12 per side

Also I know I would need an amp for them. Would the Powersoft X8 work as it will do 1600W per channel?

Our main business has been live bands in clubs but we have been asked to do EDM shows. We have one booked mid November indoors with a room size of 15 metres wide 25 metres long and 5 metres high.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards
Quote 0 0
David Lee
Hi,

I’d like to make sure you’re getting the best system for all your needs, in the long and short term.

The B-Zero is a very loud box with good tonality but its response is not flat and it’s not very effective at producing deep bass compared to the current products. I’m sure the cost of shipping 8 x B-Zeros will add up to quite a bit and, although they are excellent bass horns, they are 20 years old and have been thoroughly abused from what I can tell. I’m sure they have life left in them but they are a long way from the quality of the current product line and a long, long way out of warranty. They do require outboard amplification and using them with the current products necessitates running special processing in, or ahead of, the new boxes as well.

If I’ve understood your priorities correctly, I believe we may be able to offer you something that will reduce the shipping cost, match the system output capacity and reduce the size, the complexity and the purchase cost relative to what you were originally considering. You may have heard about it on the internet already but we have a new product coming out called “The Kraken, legendary monster of the deep!” It’s a quad 21” subwoofer, so has the output of 4 x VS21s, but is a fraction of the size of 4 x VS21s. It’s a big beast to move so it may not be appropriate for your business if you need to split your system into multiple smaller systems or if your vehicles or venues can’t accommodate it. If you can use it, it’s an absolute monster and it’s very cost-effective relative to its output capacity. Combining two of the Krakens with two AT212s would give you a system that could cover the venue dimensions you mentioned while taking up a lot less floor and truck space. The output to size ratio of this system is higher than any other option I’m aware of.

The Kraken measures 122cm tall, 122cm wide and 91.5cm deep. It weighs ~214kg. (Best suited to big venues with big doors or outdoors.) They are slightly smaller than two B-Zeros and weigh almost as much as two B-Zeros but in that space the Kraken has four 21” woofers instead of two 18” woofers moving the air. The other component of the suggested system is the AT212, which have a lower cost for similar SPL than 2 x DV12, so a pair of AT212 would be less expensive than 4 x DV12 but as with the Kraken, you wouldn’t be able to split the system into two smaller systems.

Let me know if you can use a box as big as a Kraken and if you can, we’ll get you a quote for the package. If you can’t, please tell me more about your business so I can make more appropriate suggestions…
Thanks!
Quote 0 0
BASSBOSS Questions
Hi All,

Thanks for the reply. The Kraken looks good! My thoughts are still go with the 4xDV12s then 2xKraken then maybe later buy two 118 subs so I can do smaller shows with a pair of DV12s?

Questions: Will the 4xDV12 be able to handle outdoors? Or is that when we start to look at the LA88?

Regards
Quote 0 0
David Lee
Hi,

The DV12s can handle outdoors duty pretty well. “Outdoors” is pretty vague in terms of area, target SPL at distance or audience size so there are limits to bear in mind. The DV12s are a long-throw design and are arrayable however only 2 DV12s can be arrayed, so the absolute system size (tops with coherent output) is limited to 2 boxes per side. The ability to array them for coherent output combined with their output power makes them very impressive outdoors and an arrayed pair is comparable to 3 or 4 of the LA88s. The deciding factor is whether you need something that expands beyond that scale.

The LA88 and the MFLA are essentially unlimited in scale so it’s worth considering your long-term plans for investment there. You can do small shows with LA88s and even MFLAs but it involves more labor/effort than doing them with DV12s. Line arrays are a little tricky to use for small shows but bigger shows are easy to grow into by just adding more of them. Having one style of box that can do more types of shows does tend to help keep the overall equipment cost down.

Now I’m back to thinking about the VS21s, which make a great stack platform for the LA88s. There is linking hardware allowing them to be ground-support platforms for LA88s (and MFLAs) or to fly above LA88s. If your small shows warrant a setup of 2 x VS21 and 2 or 3 x LA88 per side, that’s a really powerful and tidy option. The ratio with the VS21 and the MFLA is 3/2, with 3 x VS21s providing the ideal platform height and output SPL for 2 x MFLA.

If your small shows are smaller, you could do them with 2 x DV12 and 2 x either the VS21 or the SSP118. I prefer the extra capacity that the VS21s offer in that scenario and, if you already have VS21s, that makes one less set of boxes you would need to buy for the small or big shows.

If you were to start with 2 x Kraken and 4 x DV12, that would provide a lot of sound in a compact package! For scaling up from there, my preferred system would be adding MFLA. At least 2 per side to start with and more if you add more subs. The addition of a couple of VS21s would allow your small system to operate with 2 VS21 and 2 DV12 and allow the VS21s to elevate the MFLA higher when ground stacked on the Kraken.

Interestingly, if your initial system consisted of 2 x Kraken, 2 x VS21 and 4 x DV12, you would have a very flexible rig with a great basis for expansion into the line-array realm. If that’s too big of a bite to take at one time, it’s possible to put the VS21s into the second round.

David Lee
BASSBOSS
Quote 0 0