BASSBOSS Questions
If you have only one sub, is it still better to play it in cardioid mode, or normal? Placing in the center of course. When playing with 2 subs, does the forward-facing sub play in normal mode and the rear-facing sub in cardioid mode? Thanks David, I'm a big fan of BASSBOSS, I'm saving up for one (to start).
Quote 0 0
David Lee

If you have only one sub it should always be used in Normal mode. In Normal mode, the sub is phase-coherent with the tops when they are facing the same way.

When you add the second sub (that’s necessary for cardioid mode) it does face the rear and it does go in Cardiod mode. The forward-facing sub remains in Normal mode.

The output of the rearward-firing subwoofer in Cardioid mode is used to cancel the wrap-around energy coming from the Normally positioned, Normal-mode sub.

When it’s in Cardioid mode, the forward output of the subwoofer is not phase-coherent with the tops, so if you put the sub in its normal, forward-firing position and switch it to Cardioid mode there will be a significant gap in their combined response.

Best,
David Lee

If you'd like to read more see our blog post on the subject: https://www.bassboss.com/cardioid-subwoofers/

Quote 0 0
fnvelazquez
Thanks David, I really appreciate your response. I learned about this brand through following Miguel Sonido El Picudo. I'm a fan of Bassboss!!
Quote 0 0