nankduggets
Hi there, I only have enough money to buy one box, I was wondering which sub you would recommend for mainly playing dubstep but also other bass music genres and music that revolves around the bass weight. I also play hip hop, house, dub, reggae, etc; really a little bit of every genre, but I do focus on dubstep mainly. What sub would you recommend for the most accurate unbiased flat response so I can test out my own productions on it and make sure they will translate well onto other systems. I am also looking for clarity and high SPL levels to really feel the music. I would mainly be playing small venues/bars 200-300cap rooms or so until I get the money for a second sub, but ideally the 1 sub would be able to play outdoor gigs and larger rooms and still pack a punch (as much as 1 box could.)

I have been looking into the VS21, DJ118, or the ZV28, or SSP218. From the people I have already talked to, I am leaning towards the VS21, but I also haven't gotten much info about how the DJ118 compares to it.

I would like to spend the least about of money possible, as I don't currently have a disposable income, but I also agree with the "buy once, cry once" mindset.

Any info/first hand experience and recommendations would be immensely appreciated. Thank you in advance. Hope you are safe and well.

-Josh
Quote 0 0
Glen Allan

I would 100% say to go with the ZV28 for that kind of music. More than just that type, but it's the best one for the real wobble bass by far. The VS21 will give you more "punch", but the ZV28 will vibrate your eyeballs.

The issue with anything from BASSBOSS when doing production is that almost no other system will bring this kind of bass. I'd actually tend to say you shouldn't produce on a BASSBOSS system as you might back off on the bass and find that then playing it on other systems will leave you wanting more bass. That's not to say that BASSBOSS systems have too much bass, but that other systems seriously lack it. Produce for what most of the world will use, which is bass lacking systems.

We'll see what David says about which you should get!

Quote 0 0
nankduggets
Thanks for the reply man! I mainly will be producing on my JBL lsr305's and lsr310S but wanted another accurate system to check tunes on besides my car and my current lacking PA system. I really appreciate you taking the time to inform me of your input. Thank you🙂       Love the wobbles, so this was def very insightful.

-Josh
Quote 1 0
Glen Allan
Yeah that works well! I do it on my ZV18s after mixing just to see! Hard to do in a small space though as these will shake the walls!
Quote 0 0
nankduggets
Ha healthy! Thanks again!
Quote 0 0