Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BASSBOSS Questions

Reply with quote  #1 
I was looking to buy a generator to run my system on. Can I use this one?

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Generac-5735-Portable-Generator/p2685.html   

thanks!
D. C.
BASSBOSS Team

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi D. C.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I took a look at the generator info and I'm a little concerned whether it will do what you need it to do. If you're needing this generator to provide power for an audio system, it may not be the right tool for the job. It isn't easy for a generator to handle the kind of load that big amplifiers present. If you haven't discussed this application with the manufacturer, I suggest you do. Reading the Q&A about the generator in the link you sent leaves me wondering.

This generator can supply 50A, or 12,500W continuously. Amplifiers draw their power in pulses, something that very few generators of this sort are equipped to handle. When we've connected two subwoofer amps to a 30A generator like this, the generator bogged when the bass hit and the amps shut down due to the drop in voltage. This happens because the generator can't "predict" when the demand will hit, so it's constantly reacting to the load and it's too slow to keep the power level up. When the generator is running motors, lights or heaters, the draw is constant. When you turn the device on, like a light, a fan, a refrigerator or an air conditioner, the generator senses the draw and increases the power by opening the throttle. The throttle then stays open until you turn the device off.  Music signals are constantly fluctuating, so they demand a power source that is full-on all the time, with regulated voltage and the capacity to handle the pulses the amps draw the way a car's suspension handles highway joints. For a little generator, the amplifiers' irregular pulsed draw characteristics would seem more like curbs and ditches or even mountains than minor bumps. They can stop the generator in its tracks.

So, assuming that this generator can deliver a constant 12,500W at full power, it may be able to power the two VS21s and the two AT312s and a set of CDJs and a mixer.  At peak draw, the VS21 subs will pull 40A between them. Granted this is for a short time, but that doesn't help if the generator's not "ready" for it. So you have about 10A left for everything else. But if the voltage drops for just a moment, the electronics in the amps and CD players will shut of to protect themselves. I thought it best that you know this as soon as possible so you can find out if that generator can really meet your needs.

In case you're wondering why you can run more equipment on a 50A distro than a 50A generator, a 50A distro can pass 50A of current constantly and can pass 100A of current for a few seconds and 200A of current for less than a second. When connected to the main power grid, which has virtually unlimited reserves, and provided the draw pulses aren't more than a few seconds, you can get a lot of power through a 50A distro. A 50A generator like this one has a maximum capacity of 73A, and no reserves after that. When you run out of reserves, voltage drops, and the result is a brown-out of your system.

If after investigating further you find that generator can't do what you need, I'd recommend you consider the advantages of renting a generator when you need one. You can get any size generator you need whenever you need it, it will run quietly and you don't have to maintain it or even change the oil. And if the rental generator has a problem, they can bring another one...

I hope you find this information helpful. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

best,
David Lee
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.