Jay Stan
Can you do a comparison between the BASSBOSS LA88 vs. QSC KLA12 individual boxes. Will also like a comparison of a 5 box line array.
Quote 0 0
BASSBOSS - David Lee

Dear Jay,

Thanks for your interest in the BASSBOSS LA88 Line Array. Below is a short comparison between it and the QSC KLA12.

For more information on line array technology, and what constitutes a TRUE line array, I recommend reading this article from the ProSoundWeb about line array design and function.

prosoundweb.com/topics/sound_reinforcement/everything_you_wanted_to_know_about_line_arrays

The LA88 is a line array featuring 120 degree horizontal by 8 degree vertical coverage and splay increments from 0 to 8 degrees.

The KLA12 is a 2-way loudspeaker with a fixed 18 degree vertical coverage pattern. In other words, it’s not a line array.

The standard LA88s can be flown 12 deep with virtually infinite adjustability of the coverage of the array, allowing the energy to focused on the far field or to be spread over 80 degrees. With 5 boxes, the maximum vertical spread would be ~45 degrees.

The KLA can be flown a maximum of 5 deep with a minimum vertical coverage of 90 degrees on 5 boxes. The energy can’t be focused for long-throw applications. It’s not a line array.

The LA88 uses two HF compression drivers, each with a 1.7” voice coil and each on a 1” throat isophasic wave guide. Both cover a cabinet frontal height of 10”, making each cover only 5” of vertical line output. This tighter directivity and higher output density makes it suitable for long-throw applications.

The KLA12 has one compression driver with a 1.75” voice coil, stretched to cover a cabinet frontal height of 15”. The reduced driver displacement (1 vs 2) and lower directivity index mean this box will not project sound as effectively.

The LA88 is symmetrical, with the same coverage provided to the left and right of the array.

The KLA12 is asymmetrical, so the sound arriving at the center between the two arrays from one side is different from the other.

The LA88 uses 8” drivers with a proprietary energy distribution system to ensure line-array propagation performance in the midrange frequencies. Spacing between the effective acoustical centers is reduced to 1.25”. That's the wavelength of 10,800Hz, resulting in mid-range propagation summing to 3600Hz, which is 1600Hz above the mid-range to high crossover frequency. This ensures consistent summing and even propagation throughout the frequency range.

The KLA12 uses a single 12” woofer with no mechanism for improved mid-range coupling and propagation. Spacing between the effective acoustical centers is over 15”. That’s the wavelength of 900Hz, resulting in mid-range propagation summing to only 300Hz. QSC doesn’t disclose the crossover frequency but it’s likely to be above 1500Hz considering the 1.75” HF voice coil. The result is a huge gap in mid-range propagation effectiveness between 300 and ~1500Hz. Again, this is not a line array.

The LA88 is made in the USA from Baltic Birch for structural integrity and sound quality and uses Neodymium drivers which keep its weight down to 55 lbs each.

The KLA12 is made in China from more flexible ABS plastic and the ceramic magnet drivers increase its weight to the same 55 lbs each.

The LA88 is powered by a 3000W Powersoft amplifier.

The KLA12 is powered by a 1000W QSC amplifier.

In short, the LA88 Line Array is a very lightweight, extremely powerful, wide dispersion, tightly controlled line array capable of projecting sound over long distances.

The KLA12 "Line Array" is a 2-way plastic box with an 18 degree coverage high frequency horn that can be stacked in 18 degree vertical increments. As it's not a line array it offers essentially none of the benefits of line array technology. In practice it’s effectively a point-source array rotated onto its side. The component cost is probably only slightly more than the K12 but tagging it as a “line array” apparently gives them license to charge $1,000.00 more. Did I mention it wasn’t a line array?  ;-)

If there are any other questions I can answer, please let me know.

best,
David Lee
BASSBOSS
Quote 0 0
Jay Stan
Thank you David. This is very helpful.
Quote 0 0
BASSBOSS - David Lee
My pleasure. Products that aren't true line arrays being marketed as such is a pet peeve of mine, so I enjoyed the chance to highlight the differences. ;-)

Thanks for your question!
best
David Lee
BASSBOSS
Quote 0 0